Crispy Bread Rolls
Thanks to the early spring sunshine we’re havin already lots of herbs growing in the garden. That’s why for dinner I prepared some lovely bread rolls and sticks with them. They can be served with salted butter or a horseradish dip. If you remove some of the bread rolls from the oven a few minutes befor they’re finished you may freeze them. When defrosting them later they can be crisped up in the oven again.
Regarding the chosen herbs I just took what our garden offered. Herbs can as well be cultivated in pots on the window sill and then be used for cooking the whole year through.
It’s rather easy to make a “bread flower” (see gallery) and the how-to instructions will follow soon.
- 18oz wheat flour
- 1/2 cube of yeast
- 2tsp salt
- 1 dash sugar
- various herbs: parsley, sage,rosemary, chives, bear's garlic
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 8.5-10fl.oz lukewarm water
- 1 whisked egg yolk
- Preheat oven at 390°F
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper
- Wash herbs and hash carefully. Give flour, yeast, sugar, salt, herbs, olive oil and water in a large bowl mix until you get a smooth yeast dough. Let rest for about 20 minutes.
- After resting knead dough well with your hands, form a roll, cut into 2,5" pieces and make little breads. Place them on the baking sheet.
- For the sticks take a part of the dough, roll out a rectangle and cut stripes 0.6" wide. Always twist two stripes and also place on a baking sheet. Bread rolls will need about 20-25 minutes and sticks about 15-20 minutes of baking. Then remove from oven and cool on a grid with parchment paper.
- They taste best when they're really fresh. Therefore remove some of the bread rolls from the oven already after 17-18 minutes and freeze them when they're still a bit warm. Later you can defrost and crisp them up again.
- Show All
- Knusprige Brötchen/Crispy Bread Rolls/Petits pains croustillants